G-Shock is a well-known watch brand from Casio. Soon there’ll be a smart version in the collection. Will it be on your shopping list?
The current G-Shock series includes many models that certainly look great and have capabilities that work alongside your phone. You can keep in touch with what is happening without needing to check your device every two minutes.
The evolution of G-Shock has been an interesting one. The only similarities to the original models are that the watches are tough, have various functions, and are innovative.
Furthermore, the tough exterior is not just for show. Extreme sports, falls, fitness and fashion, the watch can handle it all. It is advertised as unbreakable. With the ability to withstand any weather and high water pressure.
The tagline of the watch is ‘worn by men who are not willing to accept limits’. And these watches are created to be functional and fun.
- Exact Time is easy with the G-Shock. It uses GPS and radio technology to ensure that the time is correct in every corner of the world. If the radio signal fails then the watch will update itself with the local time based upon the GPS.
- Water Resistant to 200M means that you can go diving without needing to take off your timepiece. You can engage diving mode to make the most of your plunge!
- Alarms to keep your priorities in check. You can set them daily, monthly, for a day and time and also on a specific date. You will be kept up to date on time as the watch will beep each hour.
- Shock Resistant so that you don’t need to worry if you fall or find yourself on an adventure that tests you in every sense of the word. The G-Shock will be there through it all.
- Bluetooth allows you to connect your watch directly to your phone. You can control the time, music and your notifications. You can download the G-Shock app so that you can keep tabs on your watch settings direct from your phone.
- Music plays seamlessly when you use your G-Shock as the remote control for your phone’s music library. The watch will let you play, pause, skip and stop tracks. It will even tell you which track is playing by displaying the name on the watch face.
- Battery Life has always been a Casio strongpoint and the G-Shock is no exception. Two years of battery life is the minimum you can expect from your smart G-Shock and Casio has stated that this impressive figure will be improved upon in newer models.
- Phone Finder connectivity can be a lifesaver, especially when you are in a rush. With the G-Shock, you press a button on the watch and listen out for the corresponding sound that your phone makes. When you have found it, press the button again and it will stop – simple!
- Illuminator ability allows you to adjust the brightness manually or automatically so you are never left struggling to see what is happening on your wrist.
The Best G-Shock Models
We think the top three are:
- The GB-6900B that gives you access to all the great features of a G-Shock. Additional features include incoming mail alert, vibration function, and a low battery warning.
- The GMW-B5000D-1ER which has all the functions, and comes in a stunning metal case. It also has the Super Illuminator feature.
- The G-Shock Rangeman is one of the toughest in the family of watches. It has solar-assisted charging so that you it will keep working even when you’re off-grid.
The Future of G-Shock
Although as yet there’s little information about it, we know that Casio intends on introducing a full smartwatch capable G-Shock in 2020. The brand has already tried limited smart features on the G-Shock range and has other smartwatches already on the market so we’re not surprised that this new watch is coming soon.
We’re keen to see how Casio manages to blend the features of a smartwatch into something as tough as a G-Shock and we are pretty sure it will be popular.
With the market saturated with so many watches that have different capabilities, is the G-Shock range worth purchasing?
We think so, especially if you want to combine an active life with your watch. Furthermore, it’ great to know that no matter what you are exposed to, your watch will survive and keep telling you the time accurately. So if you want a watch that has a great battery life, fantastic design, and many clever features, the G-Shock could be the watch for you.
However, if you’d prefer a durable, full smartwatch that does everything you need then you may be better off waiting around until 2020 when the G-Shock smartwatch hits the market. We can’t wait!