The Garmin Forerunner range is known for its quality and the 245 model won’t disappoint. Find out more about this smartwatch’s amazing features here.
When you’re dedicated to improving your fitness level, there’s no better brand of smartwatch for you than a Garmin. Known for their high-quality smartwatches, Garmin expertly blends together the perfect mix of cutting edge technology and tracking tools to create models that won’t fail to impress even the most hard-to-please fitness enthusiast.
A Garmin two-in-one smartwatch and fitness tracker won’t just make life simpler, it’ll bring a host of improvements to your overall health. Of course, it goes without saying that it’ll also make it much easier to achieve the exercise goals that you’ve set for yourself without ever compromising on style.
While there are a number of smartwatches in the Forerunner range, the 245 model is in the middle. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have plenty of fantastic features that will enhance your workout. As the latest update to the 235 model, it comes with a more manageable price tag than the 945 but is still fully featured, representing good value for money.
Garmin Forerunner 245 – Features
- LCD full colour display – 240 x 240 megapixels
- Lightweight at 38.5g
- Comfortable silicone strap
- 7-day battery life
- Tracks your route, distance and pace
- GPS for easy route mapping
- Tracks fitness age, heart rate and sleep quality
- Safety alerts built-in
- Has Garmin’s Running Awareness feature
- Menstrual tracking functionality
- Music model has storage for up to 500 songs
- Wi-Fi connection
- Waterproof rating of 5 ATM
- Gorilla glass for scratch-resistance
- Pairs with Android and Apple phones
- Garmin Coach training and personalised workouts
- Galileo support
- Tracks swimming laps
- Metronome feature allows you to set the pace for your run
- Strong oval fastening clip
- Convenient charging system
- Easy access buttons
The Forerunner 245 offers plenty of excellent features for fitness improvers and fitness fans who want to stay looking stylish without breaking the bank. The 245 could be a perfect choice.
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages that we think apply to this model so you can make a more informed purchasing decision.
- The design is compact, lightweight and comfortable
- The silicone strap is soft and easily adjustable
- Inbuilt GPS
- Body Battery functionality helps you track your overall fitness
- Menstrual cycle monitoring makes this a good choice for women
- Heart rate monitor
- The Music model can store up to 500 songs
- Waterproof up to 50 metres
- Easy to view screen, even in direct sunlight
- Gorilla glass display ensures durability
- Battery life is just 6 hours if you play music and use GPS
- Oval strap fastener is difficult to use
- Doesn’t track every type of exercise
- No barometric altimeter
- Additional cost for music and wi-fi functionality
- No NFC
While there are a few downsides, as you can see, to purchasing the Forerunner 245, there are many excellent features that sway opinion in this smartwatch’s favor.
At the end of the day, you’ll need to weigh up several factors such as your personal preferences, budget, and lifestyle to determine whether the technology and features that this fitness tracker offers are suited to your needs.
For lots of users, the Forerunner 245 has really hit the spot, supplying the perfect balance between a convenient fitness tracker and a functional and stylish watch. Compared to some other smartwatches, the fact that the primary focus is on fitness instead of lifestyle enhancements may be a deterrent. For those who want to maximise their smartwatch’s functionality while enjoying a long battery life may also find that this model doesn’t live up to expectations.
How Does The Forerunner 245 Compare?
The smartwatch market is a very crowded and competitive one, and there are numerous rival models available at the moment that are stacked up against the Forerunner 245. Garmin’s own ranges include a number of smartwatch models that give the 245 a run for its money.
The 945, for example, offers many more features including pay functionality and the ability to track many more activities.
The Fenix 5 Plus and Fenix ranges too boast some seriously impressive features. However, it’s worth bearing in mind that all of these rival Garmin models come with a substantially higher price tag.
The Bottom Line
When you’re seriously dedicated to boosting your fitness, Garmin’s Forerunner 245 model is sure to be an excellent purchase for you, especially if you’re on a tight budget. The many excellent features that it offers makes life easier while helping you to get the most out of your daily workouts all at a very reasonable price.
Yet, if your focus in choosing a smartwatch is less on the fitness aspect and more on the life enhancements, the Forerunner 245 might not be the right fit for your needs. With no pay function, a requirement to pay more for music and Wi-Fi functionality, and a short battery life when music and GPS are in action, you may be advised to look elsewhere.
Last Updated on January 9, 2022
With over 30 years working across a wide range of media and disciplines, David is a highly trained journalist and editor with advanced skills in news, feature writing, and editing.
Specialist in diy/home improvement (published author), technology, and travel. A well-rounded media specialist with lot of experience in magazines, showguides, books, trade publications, press releases and more.