Google and Apple are two titans in the smartwatch world and have both released new smartwatches recently, making it hard to choose which one to invest in! We took a closer look at the Google Pixel Watch, the Apple Watch 8, and the Apple Watch Ultra to give you the information needed to make the best decision for your needs – read on to find out more!
Google Pixel Watch
The Google Pixel Watch is an android compatible smartwatch and comes with a wide range of great features for you to enjoy – check them out to see if this watch sparks your interest.
- Design Features – this watch comes in a 41mm size, and you can choose from three different color options – silver, matte black, and gold. It has GPS, and contactless payments and comes with a rounded face that has a 3D dome that produces a raised screen look. It also has a thick bezel and can feel a bit clunky on the wrist.
- Durability – the watch comes with a fabric strap and has been designed to withstand trips and falls, but we were left slightly concerned that the domed design could be easy to break especially if you are exercising outdoors.
- Battery Life – we are all used to the short Apple Watch battery, but Google has worked hard to beat it! You can look forward to at least 24 hours of battery when you wear this watch, meaning that it is ideal for all-day and night use, with a quick charging time.
- Sports Features – if you love sports and fitness, then being able to track your workouts is easy with this watch! It offers a wide range of sports to choose from and a number of apps that you can use to get the feedback you need when working on your performance.
- Health Features – no smartwatch is complete without a suite of health features and this watch provides ECG function as well as SpO2, heart rate, and skin temperature sensors as well as sleep tracking.
- Pricing – The new Pixel Watch starts at around $349 for the Bluetooth and GPS spec, increasing for the LTE-compatible versions. It’s a great price and is highly competitive as it comes in lower than the Apple series 8
Overall, the Google Pixel Watch is a great choice for any Android owner that wants a watch that rivals Apple and should impress even the most avid Apple lover should they choose to change to Android.
Apple Watch 8
Apple is known to release a number of upgrades every year and the Apple Watch 8 is one of the latest options on offer – find out if it’s the one for you here.
- Design Features – Apple is well known for its great design, and this watch offers standard, thin bezels and a square face with rounded edges. You can choose between a 41mm and 45mm option and look forward to using the built-in GPS, contactless payments, and compatibility with iOS devices.
- Durability – the 8 series comes with the standard silicone strap that is tough and durable, and the screen is made from reinforced Ion-X Glass that offers unparalleled protection.
- Battery Life – Apple is constantly under fire for its poor battery life, and the 18-hour Apple Watch 8 is no different. However, there is a low-power mode that can help you extend the life of the battery should you be away from a charger.
- Sports Features – Apple Fitness makes it easy to log any workout or exercise that you do and will track your movements throughout the day to ensure that you are staying active and getting your steps in.
- Health Features – ECG, blood oxygen and heart rate monitor are all standard additions to the 8 series, and there is a fall and crash detection system too to help you stay safe as well as providing access to emergency services should you need it.
- Pricing – the 8 series starts at around $399 and increases depending on the model you choose. Apple veers away from getting into pricing wars but this device seems to be reasonably costed when you consider the technology that is on offer.
If you already own an Apple Watch 7, then this new device may not offer enough of a change to convince you to buy. However, if you are new to Apple Watch or want to upgrade to an older model, then you are sure to be impressed.
Apple Watch Ultra
The release of the Apple Watch Ultra was met with surprise and delight, especially for those who love to exercise! Take a look to see if it is a good fit for you:
- Design Features – a larger Digital crown, a bigger screen, and a new style action button for ease of use set this device apart from the other Apple devices on offer. It comes with GPS, is contactless, and works with all iPhone models, making it a great sports watch!
- Durability – this watch has been built to last and is incredibly tough and durable so that it can be used in outdoor sports and water sports without worrying that it will let your down.
- Battery Life – the battery life has been improved to 30 hours on the Ultra, but we think that it needs to be improved further to compete with other top sports watches.
- Sports Features – sport is where this model shines as it has honed all the sports tracking features and also comes with a new diving sensor to enjoy when you are in the water.
- Health Features – looking at your health is simple with ECG, blood oxygen, heart rate monitor, and more. It also has a crash and fall detection, safety siren, and high decibel alarm when you need to get help to your location.
- Pricing – the cost of this watch starts at around $799, which may seem very expensive, but when you consider all the tools and capabilities on offer, it is actually well worth considering.
Side By Side Comparison Google Pixel Watch Apple Watch.
Still not sure which one to choose? Take a look at this side by side comparison to help!
|Google Pixel Watch
|Apple Watch 8
|Apple Watch Ultra
|41mm & 45mm
|Black, Silver & Gold
|Midnight, Starlight, Product Red, Silver
|Green, Product Red, Blue, Starlight, Midnight
|Blood Oxygen, Heart Rate & ECG
|Blood Oxygen, Heart Rate, ECG & Skin Temp
|Blood Oxygen, Heart Rate, ECG & Skin Temp
The Verdict, Google, or Apple?
Ultimately, when it comes to choosing the right watch for you, the answer can be found in what is important to your life. If you are an Android user, then the Google Pixel Watch is the logical choice as it is compatible and offers a lot of great features. However, if you are an iPhone owner, then the Apple Watch Ultra or Apple Watch 8 would be better for you. Take your time to check out what each watch offers, and then pick the spec that fits best with your lifestyle, as all three options look great!
Last Updated on March 11, 2023
My passion for watches started when I got my first Rolex. It was 35 years ago when I managed a franchise of Domino’s Pizza. The Rolex was an incentive for achievements. Since then I have been collecting, learning, using, and trying different watches for my day-to-day activities and hobbies.
I love Sports, not only from my couch but participating in many kinds of sports. I love playing basketball, tennis, soccer, diving, windsurfing, and more. My peace of mind activity is my Goldwing. And enjoying good music played from my smartwatch to my earphones inside my helmet is the optimum relaxing ride…
I am also a volunteering senior medic and an instructor. Teaching about Blood Pressure, ECG, Blood Saturation, and more.