Smartwatches are one of the most popular devices to own these days. More and more women are moving from traditional timepieces to these tech items. They are remarkably smart and have a wide variety of functionalities. From activity trackers, to GPS systems, to being a true extension of your phone- you will be impressed. If you haven’t yet found your ideal smartwatch, keep on reading! We have brought together some of the top smart watches, designed specifically for women.
Best Smartwatch Features for Women
So, which of the current smartwatches are best for women? In today’s market, women can benefit from the following smartwatch features:
- Analogue-style smartwatches that are discreet enough to wear on any occasion.
- Smaller watch faces and slimmer straps to accommodate slender wrists.
- Lightweight watches that don’t weigh the arm down.
- Female menstrual cycle tracking (offered by Apple, Garmin and Fitbit).
- Health tracking features that may be of more interest to women such as stress monitoring and sleep monitoring.
- The ability to track a variety of activities including yoga, swimming, and dynamic gym workouts.
In fact, with so many great ladies’ smartwatches on the market, making the right purchase can be difficult. To help you out, here are five of the best smartwatches for women. Our top five picks offer most – if not all – of the features listed above!
Apple Watch 8
The king of smartwatches is also the queen’s best friend. The is no doubt the Apple Watch is fit for the lady. The new 8 will exceed most expectations as a smartwatch because it’s a true extension of the phone, that is if you have an iPhone.
With the new generation, newly introduced Apple Watch Series 8, Apple brings even more durability, full keyboard for texting or anything else and strives to make the watch as functional as ever.
In terms of design, it’s definitely a matter of opinion but since this is the most popular smartwatch on earth, there are many customization options including Apple Watch bands specifically designed for women, matching cases, and also very appealing watch faces. When combined you could get the stylish look you’re after. It’s also a kind of fashion statement in a way. Watch this video we’ve created of the nice features this watch offers and how it can be used.
Fossil Ladies’ Hybrid Smartwatch (‘Jacqueline’ Models)
This stylish watch looks nothing like a conventional smartwatch because it has an analogue clock face and a thin, feminine strap. This means it’s discreet enough to wear in the office and chic enough to wear on an evening out. Compared to other smartwatches, Fossil’s Hybrid Smartwatch offers quite basic functionality, but it can receive smartphone notifications, control music, and track activities. Best of all – it doesn’t need charging!
- A beautiful, classic design. The ‘Jacqueline’ Fossil smartwatches are probably the most stylish ladies’ smartwatches available on the market.
- A thin strap – suitable for slender wrists.
- The battery lasts for 6 months so there’s no need to charge it every couple of days (but a new battery costs less than $10).
- Fossil’s health app is intuitive and easy to use. It provides some useful output data, such as steps taken, calories burned, and distance travelled. The app also allows you to set health goals.
- Very affordable compared to other smartwatches.
- No fancy features such as GPS tracking, heart rate monitoring, or smartwatch payments.
- You cannot export your health data to other apps.
So, choose Fossil’s Hybrid Smartwatch if you want an affordable, stylish smartwatch that doesn’t need to be charged.
Fossil Gen 6
If you’re determined to pick a smartwatch by Fossil, another great option to consider is the Fossil’s Gen 6 model.
This smartwatch is more of an all-rounder. It has a very good battery life, lasting up to 24 hours for a single charge. Whilst this is significantly less than the Hybrid model, this watch is designed as a much smarter gadget. From the watch’s screen, you are able to access your notifications as well as information such as weather, or calendar items. Contactless payment is also enabled on this smartwatch, unlike on the previously mentioned Hybrid model.
Naturally, notifications and calls are also transmitted through to your smartwatch. The watch also benefits from many smart fitness tracking metrics, making it more advanced than the Hybrid model. The beauty of this watch is how sleek the overall design is. Available in three different styles and colours from gold to pink to rose gold, you will be spoilt for choice with this one.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
The Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 is popular amongst women because the smaller (40mm) version looks great on slender wrists. Not only that, the watch can track a range of activities including swimming, yoga and dynamic gym routines like squats. This is an improvement on earlier smartwatches which could only track walking, running, and cycling. With superior sensor technology, GPS tracking, and Samsung Pay, you can see why it’s a popular choice amongst women. Samsung also offers two different designs – classic and standard and we think that the new look is both clean and freshly appealing to women.
- Analogue-style watch that looks fairly discreet. It comes in bronze, black, or silver and the straps are interchangeable, so you can match this watch to your outfit.
- Smaller 40mm screen to suit thinner wrists.
- One of the few smartwatches that sync with Spotify.
- In-built GPS – This is a great feature considering the price of this watch.
- It uses an accelerometer, altimeter and heart rate monitor to accurately track a variety of activities.
- It needs charging at least once every 2 days (sooner with heavy usage).
- The design of the watch is a bit bland compared to some other ladies’ smartwatches.
Choose this watch if you want a reliable, technologically advanced smartwatch that doesn’t look out of place on a slender wrist.
The GarineMax women’s smartwatch has got an extremely feminine and elegant look. The digital dial is small and discrete, as is the bracelet. In terms of visuals, it is very different to an Apple Watch. It has got a stainless steel finish and can come in either silver or gold.
Like the famous Apple Watch, it too has got a range of great features. Indeed, it records your daily activities such as steps, calories burned, heart rate or distance walked. As well as that, this smartwatch connects effortlessly to your smartphone. You are able to see messages coming through from WhatsApp, Facebook, text and more. Another great functionality is the ability this watch gives you to hang up calls directly.
As well as this, the watch is water-resistant. It also has lots of fun features. For example, bringing your wrist to your face will brighten your phone screen. The smartwatch can also act as a remote camera control! Compared to some other models, this smartwatch is only priced at $56.99, making it one of the cheaper options.
Garmin Vivoactive 4
The original Garmin watches were quite masculine and clunky, but we’ve seen some lighter, more feminine Garmin models in recent years. What’s more, Garmin added menstrual cycle tracking to several of their smartwatches – including the Vivoactive 4.
Garmin watches are predominantly fitness trackers (but with some of the techy features you would expect from a smartwatch). So, if you are looking for a female-friendly fitness tracker that has all the basic smartwatch capabilities, the Garmin Vivoactive 4S offers superb value for money. You get music, energy tracking, pulse ox levels and guided workouts.
- This is a quality piece of hardware comprised of many different sensors including: an accelerometer, thermometer, altimeter, heart rate monitor and more. This means it can accurately capture health data.
- This smartwatch allows you to track your monthly cycle via the app. You can see your menstrual data on the watch itself and record symptoms throughout the month. When it comes to reviewing your menstrual data, you’ll be able to view it alongside other health markers such as stress levels, heart rate, activity levels, calorie intake etc. Women who are interested in their reproductive health will no doubt find this feature useful.
- It has the appearance of a normal watch so it can be worn on any occasion.
- Stress monitoring – great for those with busy lifestyles.
- Built-in GPS.
- The app offers very detailed health/fitness data – great for fitness enthusiasts.
- Although the watch is supposed to allow you to make payments, many customers have experienced problems with this function. Having said that, Garmin does have a very responsive customer support team.
- This watch may not measure weightlifting/dynamic movements as well as the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4.
Garmin Venu Sq 2 Music
Still staying with Garmin, the Venu Sq 2 Music is a great option for women who love listening to tunes on the go. With up to 6 days of battery life, this smartwatch does not need constant charging even when used daily. The Music Series at Garmin is designed specifically to allow you to download all your favourite songs directly onto your watch.
Simply Download apps such as Spotify, Deezer or Apple Music to your watch and connect it to your usual earphones. This allows for phone-free music listening, a feature many will absolutely love.
Fitbit Versa 3
The Fitbit Versa 3 is the third generation of the popular original Fitbit Versa. It has a significant number of upgraded features over its predecessors that make it worth the cost. Alexa/Google Assistant compatibility and Fitbit Pay make life so much more convenient.
At 41mm in diameter, the Fitbit Versa 3 is a similar size to the Samsung Galaxy smartwatch. The watch face is big enough to show notifications and updates but not so big that it feels clunky.
Like the Garmin Vivoactive 4, the Fitbit Versa is predominantly a fitness tracker, but it can receive smartphone notifications, send quick replies (on Android phones) and make contactless payments – so it’s far from basic. The Fitbit Versa has onboard GPS so you will need to keep your phone close by if you wish to use the GPS tracking.
- This device offers monthly cycle tracking for those who menstruate
- Onboard GPS
- Fitbit Pay is widely accepted
- Compatible with Alexa
- The design resembles the more expensive Apple Watch
- It offers heart rate monitoring, sleep tracking, and a vibrating “silent alarm” to wake you gently.
- The output data is very easy to interpret – many people love the simplicity of the Fitbit app.
- If you are a runner/hiker/cyclist, you might prefer a device with in-built GPS, so you don’t have to carry your phone with you.
- Though the Fitbit Versa 2 is not as futuristic or plasticky as other Fitbits, it is still quite informal in design so might not be suitable for all occasions.
(It’s worth noting that the Fitbit Ionic has in-built GPS and a more stylish design – but it costs quite a lot more).
All in all, choose the Fitbit Versa 3 if you want a good-quality smartwatch that provides useful and easy-to-understand data insights.
Fitbit Charge 5
Another great smartwatch option for women by Fitbit, is the Charge 5 model. For sporty women specifically, this watch will not disappoint. From activities such as biking, sprinting, cycling, working out at the gym, and even swimming, The Fitbit Charge 5 will be the perfect companion.
The Fitbit Charge 5 is also a perfect choice if you have a moderate budget. Via this smartwatch, you will find an extremely robust health and exercise tracking system. What really differentiates this watch from other smartwatches are the two special modes it boasts for yoga and meditation! It is ideal for those who practise yoga as a regular sport – which many women do for its fitness and relaxing properties.
Withings (Nokia) Steel
The final watch in our line-up is another classy hybrid that looks nothing like a conventional smartwatch. The Withings/Nokia Smartwatch is a minimalist, analogue-style watch that competes with Fossil’s smartwatches in the style stakes. Although this watch doesn’t have GPS, it does have a heart rate monitor so it can provide useful fitness and sleep data. The best thing about this watch is its battery life. Because it doesn’t have GPS, it can last for around 25 days before it needs recharging!
- Unlike the Fossil Hybrid smartwatch, this watch captures heartrate data – this is rare in a smartwatch that looks so much like a traditional watch.
- There is a smart alarm that wakes you with a gentle buzz.
- Great battery life.
- Syncs with many other health tracking apps so you have more control over your data.
- There is no payment capability.
- No GPS tracking.
- Once synced, this watch alerts you to smartphone notifications, but the alerts are very subtle (Having said that, some people appreciate the fact that the alerts are not too disruptive).
Choose the Withings/Nokia Smartwatch if you want to track your heart rate and steps, but you are not too fussed about tracking your routes/distances.
Smartwatch manufacturers must be doing something right because recent reports show that 40% of smartwatch users are women (compared to just 26% a few years ago).
Michael Kors Gen 6
Last but not least we have the pretty Micheal Kors Gen 6 smartwatch. Available in pink, silver or black, this smartwatch is lightweight and functional.
Smartwatches powered by Google Wear OS are compatible with smartphones running Android or iOS 7.0 or above. More than a third of the performance gains come from Qualcomm’s 4100+ processor. Up to four times the range and improved power are among the benefits of Bluetooth 5 technology.
Auto-tracking keeps tabs on your activity goals (such as steps taken each day), sleep, heart rate, cardio, and blood oxygenation levels (blood oxygen). With GPS-enabled activity modes, you can keep tabs on your progress, including distance travelled and route taken. Health and fitness tracking apps rely on data collected by sophisticated sensors.
There are more pixels on the always-on display, making it more vibrant. Customize your style and always know the time with thousands of watch faces. Many different apps, such as personal assistants, fitness trackers, contactless payment systems, music and social media apps.
Notifications for calls, texts, and apps will keep you up to date. Calendar and time zone synchronisation are both handled automatically. You can answer and make calls from your watch while your phone is out of reach. A speaker, microphone, and customisable buttons are all included in this smartwatch’s features.
In comparison to prior versions, the revised case back and included magnetic charger allow for faster charging. Up to 80% of the battery can be recharged in 30 minutes. Smart Battery Modes make it easier to get the most out of your battery. All of your activities will benefit from the swimproof 3ATM rating.
The best smartwatches for women: FAQs
Given the vast choice of smartwatches for women, it is normal that a few questions remain. We have therefore selected and answered our three most frequently asked questions.
What should my budget be for a smartwatch?
The answer to this really depends and is very personal. Evaluating your needs is key to determining your budget. Do you need an all-rounder that can accompany you in every single activity? Perhaps you only need the phone-free music functionality? Asking these questions will narrow done your options and allow you to define what budget is realistic.
How does my smartwatch monitor my heart rate?
The majority of smartwatches use a technology called photoplethysmography (or PPG) to measure your heart rate. The way this usually works is that green light is projected on the ski at an extremely rapid rate. The sensor on the watch senses light reflection on your skin. More light is reflected between heartbeats, which then allows an algorithm to determine your heart rate.
Are smartwatches safe?
Yes! Being able to access your phone for calls through your wrist allows you to have quick access to a phone in all situations. Moreover, because many track your health data, they help you make healthier and safer lifestyle decisions!
Can I text from my smartwatch?
Whilst most smartwatches will notify you of incoming messages, few actually allow you to type full messages. The newest Apple Watch Series 7 does however have a full keyboard allowing for you to type!
Which of these smartwatches can be used without a phone?
Of the watches mentioned, only the Apple Watch and the Garmin Venu Sq Music can work without a phone and still keep their smart features.
Last Updated on December 13, 2022
Emma brings over a decade of freelance copy and content writing experience and is our Editor, Social Media Manager, and regular contributor. Specializing in long-form content such as blogs, articles, lead magnets, and white papers, Emma also provides businesses with email marketing, website copy, and landing pages.