The Apple Watch 8 has been on our minds for some time. Now it’s here, we can’t wait to get into the details and new features!
Apple’s 8th generation of the smartwatch was released on the 16th of September, and users are already raving about the new updates. While nothing is dramatically different, this smartwatch provides an optimised experience.
Considering this smartwatch? We’re here to help you decide whether the Apple Watch 8 is the wearable for you.
Scroll down to find out what the Apple Watch 8 offers.
Let’s see what makes this watch different from the Apple Watch Series 7.
Compare prices and choose your favorite merchant to buy the Apple Watch
|Apple Watch 8||Amazon||Check Price|
|Apple Watch 7||Amazon||Check Price|
|Apple Watch 7||eBay||Check Price|
|Watch Ultra||Amazon||Check Price|
|Apple Watch 7||Apple||View offer|
|Apple Watch 7||Target||View offer|
|Apple Watch SE 2||Amazon||View offer|
As expected, the Apple Watch 8 will work with the highly anticipated watchOS 9.
Every year, one of the most often asked topics is whether or not Apple would continue to support previous models of the Apple Watch. After last year’s release of WatchOS 8 for iOS, Apple retained watchOS 7’s ability to run on all of the devices that had previously been supported.
The Apple Watch Series 3 will no longer receive software updates after this year’s release of watchOS 9. Because of its low pricing and compatibility with Apple Fitness+, Apple has been able to keep it running for another year. The Series 3 and later should be able to run watchOS 9.
What features can we enjoy with watchOS 9? Here are some of the top updates users can enjoy.
- New ‘Double-pinch’ quick action, allowing users to start a workout or take a photo with a simple hand movement
- Apps and features can run in a low-power mode
- Medication reminders on your wrist & the ability to log daily medications
- All-new workouts; new sleep tracking function; and new medication tracking for women in the Health app
- Customized workouts with recovery intervals
- ‘Running Power’, a measure of your personal power and running level
- New and improved watch faces, including a collaboration with the artist and designer Joi Fulton
- Added productivity updates, such as a new Dock, and slimmed-down notifications
- Optimized keyboard for all languages, including French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, & Spanish
According to Bloomberg, Apple intends to make significant improvements to the low power state feature. Other watch face upgrades are also in the works, according to the business.
Size and Design
Some of the biggest concerns among users are what the watch looks like and how big it is. Not everyone wants a big watch. But some feel that it is just too difficult to see the tiny interface that sits on their wrist. That’s why we can break down what we are getting with the 7 and what we are hoping for with the Series 8.
Apple watches have not seen any serious design changes in quite some time. However, the series 7 shows a display that is 20% bigger than the previous model. We now know the Apple Watch 8 will come in two sizes – 45mm and 41mm, allowing users to enjoy a watch that suits their needs.
The displays are thinner with the 7, and the edges are a lot curvier. They maintain the square circle combo.
A leaked rumour is that with the Series 8, we are looking at a flat edge design. However, this leak turned out not to be true! The Apple Watch 8 doesn’t have a flat re-design. Instead, this smartwatch offers the same signature design seen on the 6 and 7 models.
Why change it if it’s popular?
|Retina LTPO OLED, 1000 nits at peak. Always On Display.|
|Size of the display||1.9 inches|
|Resolution||484 x 396 pixels – Density of Approximately 326 PPI|
|Protection of the Glass||Sapphire crystal|
|Colors||Silver, Gold, Graphite|
An Apple Watch “with a tough case” designed for sports, hikers, and others who use the watch in more harsh situations than everyday usage is being developed by Apple, according to Bloomberg’s sources.
But, is this just a rumor, or is it a fact?
Great news for adventurers – the Apple Watch Ultra is real and is to be released on the 23rd of September! With dual-frequency GPS, 36 hours of battery life, and specialized straps, this watch is durable for all sports.
Thrills and Features
These companies provide respiratory rates, skin temperature, and more. Even though some of these sensors are available for the Apple Watch Series 8, it’s not certain if all of them will be included in the next model.
Apple has constantly been adding these features to their line of products as well. But even with the new release this fall, some crucial stats are missing.
Apple Watch 8 New Features
So, what can customers get their hands on with the Apple Watch 8?
- Temperature sensors. The new watch provides all-new temperature sensing, allowing wearers to see their body temperature change throughout the day and while asleep. This data is also used for Cycle Tracking, allowing women to track their ovulation for family planning. Temperature data can be paired with cycle data and heart rate metrics for a detailed menstrual cycle review.
- Crash Detection. Take your safety to the next level with the Apple Watch 8 Crash Detection. This brand new tool can recognize if the is in a car crash and will then connect to local emergency services. If registered, this feature will also notify your personal emergency contacts. How does this work? Thanks to high g-force accelerometers, microphones, barometers, GPS, 3-axis gyroscopes, and advanced sensor fusion algorithms. Hopefully, users will never use this feature!
- Sleep Stages. Sleep tracking is a smartwatch feature that’s always in demand. Apple’s new watch can now record your sleep stages, including Core, Deep, and REM sleep, to give you better health insights.
- Enhanced Workouts. Workouts are a priority for many smartwatch users, and Apple has taken these to the next level with the Apple Watch 8. With this smartwatch, users can now use recovery intervals and tailored insights to upgrade routines. Alerts are available for cadence, power, heart rate, and pace too.
This smartwatch is available at two distinct price points.
The Apple Watch 8 starts at $399 for the 41mm GPS-only version or $499 for the cellular 41mm model.
If you want to size up, the 45mm GPs-only watch will cost $429, and the cellular option costs $529.
Past models such as the Apple Watch Series 3 are still on sale, which could mean that the next generation to follow will also go on sale. The Apple Watch SE is also currently on sale.
Check Apple Watch 7 deal prices price on Amazon, eBay, or your merchant of choice here.
Patents can tell us a lot about the direction of a smartwatch. Here are some of the predictions that informed the Apple Watch 8 features, and could inform future models from the brand.
Apple has patented a biometric identification technology that authenticates identity-based on the wearer’s skin pattern, which might be utilised in future Apple Watch devices. When using the Apple Watch, a function like this would eliminate the need for a passcode.
In another patent, an Apple Watch band is described as self-tightening to ensure accurate heart rate measurements during strenuous activities such as jogging or working out, and self-loosening afterwards. Directions, workout reps, and more might all benefit from the tightening.
For example, a third patent outlines a band for the Apple Watch that has an LED indicator that shows the progress of an activity or task, such as a workout or an Activity ring being completed.
By tracking the tremors of Parkinson’s sufferers with sensors on the Apple Watch, a patent was published by Apple in December 2019. It is Apple’s belief that this form of data tracking will help users to better track their symptoms so that they can organise their activities in accordance with symptom patterns.
An under-display camera and Touch ID appear to be on Apple’s radar for the Apple Watch, according to a 2 patents filed in 2019. User authentication and device unlocking are both possible using Apple’s side button with an integrated Touch ID fingerprint sensor. With a passcode and when the associated iPhone is unlocked, the Apple Watch may be unlocked.
In terms of an under-display camera, the patent specifies a two-stage display system that incorporates a camera that is only visible from the outside when activated. Patent filings from 2021 reveal a drastic makeover of the Apple Wrist, with a rounder face, flexible display, and customisable watch bands, among other features.
Battery, speaker, haptic feedback, kinetic power generator, and even a camera have all been included in a list of Apple Watch technology that might be included into the band. A memory Capacity of Internal 32 GB is also one of its features.
These patented features may or may not make it into a real Apple Watch, but it’s fun to see what the company is working on and contemplating behind the scenes.
Apple Watch SE 2?
Thew Apple Watch SE 2 was released in September 2022.
Despite the fact that the Apple Watch is the best watch of the year, it’s also a lot of money. Isn’t it possible that a less expensive model may offer many of the same benefits? Both first-time watch wearers and those on a tighter budget may appreciate the Apple Watch SE 2, a circa $250 watch from Apple.
This new smartwatch is set to use the latest S8 Chip, and it will be cheaper than the previous SE options. However, the latest information shows the watch doesn’t include an always-on display and the design features a thick bezel.
Considering a new smartwatch? The Apple Watch 8 updates aren’t radical, but they’re extremely efficient. The new generation of Apple Watch is here to optimize your life through streamlined tech and safety features.
Don’t be put off but the lack of design changes, positive reviews are already pouring in for this watch. However, you might want to check out the Apple Watch SE 2 or Apple Watch Ultra before you make your final decision!
Follow us on social media to stay up to date with our latest articles
Last Updated on August 23, 2023
Brittany Collens is one of our top sports writers. She is also a professional tennis player which helps her authority on subjects such as health and fitness.
She has a degree in journalism and has previously written for well-established sports magazines in Massachusetts.
Brittany lives in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States.