Last Updated on August 9, 2020 by Superwatches
Last Updated on August 9, 2020 by SuperwatchesThe Xiaomi Mi Band was launched on June 11th. In terms of design it is quite similar to the Mi Band 5 but with a slightly bigger screen size at 1.1″ and a wealth of new features.
You can watch our unboxing video of the new Mi Band 5 below.
New features to include:
- 5 Added workouts – indoor cycling, rowing machine, jump rope, yoga, and elliptical.
- Animated breathing exercises to reduce stress, PAI – personal physiological activity tracker – helping you understand your physical condition over time and female tracking
- Bigger and better screen.
- Magnetic charging
- Control your mobile camera from the watch
- Better events display and synchronization
- Weekly summaries and progress reports on the watch itself
- In depth weather – moisture, wind strength level and UV radiation.
- 4 Color options – Yellow, Grey/Green, Orange, Black.
- Price starts at $29 (depending where you buy it)
Amazon Alexa AI (not currently supported)
The Mi Band 5 could be able to listen to your requests and respond with the usual Alexa actions (i.e. controlling smart devices in your home) in multiple languages, but will only be able to reply in text – i.e. no Alexa voice as the band currently lacks a speaker unless that feature will funnel through your phone.
Another Feature is the ability to track female menstrual cycle. The mi band 5 is also able to offer breath training. Another nice feature is remote control for your camera (on smartphones).
Tracking your blood oxygen level is a plus when doing a physical activity or for health monitoring. It could also help monitor your sleep and help with identifying problems. It is by no means a medical device but it can be used for non medical monitoring. This feature is currently not supported in the global version.
So what else is new with the Mi Band 5 (Global version)?
- Alipay for mobile payments
- No NFC for now in the global version which is disappointing
- World clock – know the time around the world
- Sunrise and sunset notifications
- Swipe left and right to switch displays
- Advances display customization
Here, we will take a more detailed of the Xiaomi Mi Band 5. Read more below for our in-depth analysis of the new and upcoming smartwatch from Xiaomi.
- Display: 1.1 inches Colorful AMOLED display with 126 x 294 pixels resolution, 100+ watch faces
- Activity Tracking: Comes with 11 workout modes: Outdoor running, Treadmill, Cycling, Walking,...
- Convenient Magnetic Charging: The charging interface has been changed to the below of heart rate...
So who is Huami?
Founded in 2014, Huami is a Chinese company based in Beijing. It’s the largest wearable device company in the world, ahead of Fitbit and Apple. To date it has sold over 50 million units and has a 17.1% global market share.
It aims to provide fashionable activity trackers at affordable prices to help promote a more active lifestyle. Huami markets a number of trackers under the Amazfit brand name. They are also the exclusive provider to Xiaomi of wearable technology. In collaboration with Xiaomi, it makes the Mi Band.
The company is headquartered in Beijing and Mountain View, California USA.
General Availability Now – First Available June 2020.
The Mi Band 5 was launched in June 2020.
For reference, the Mi Band 4 was announced and then launched in June 2019 whilst the previous model the Mi Band 3 entered the marketplace in May 2018, so it is reasonable to assume that a similar timeframe will surround the launch of the Mi Band 5.
Look and Feel
Released shortly after the Mi Band 3 the Xiaomi Hey+ had very similar specs. The only real change of any significance between the two models was the larger, colour display on the Hey+. The same thing happened again when the Mi Band 4 was released in the middle of 2019. It is no surprise therefore that the Mi Band 5 is very similar in terms of design to it’s predecessor – the mi band 4.
It is worth noting that there are actually no significant changes in the new Hey+ 1S when it is compared to the design and features of the Mi Band 4. What is noticeable however it that the display has had a little bit of a design tweak in order to offer users a screen that is a little more rectangular in shape and that features more rounded corners.
The Mi Band 5 looks almost identical to the Mi Band 4 apart from the slight increase in size. No doubt it offers better colors and much more functionality for nearly the same price.
What can we expect in term of new features to come?
It has already been indicated that Huami and Xiaomi will continue to work together on new products and that any long-term plans that both companies have for the Mi Band product line will remain unchanged.
Huami has, however, suggested that it is looking forward to producing and developing future generations of the Mi Band as well as also targeting different segments of the global market and even different customer profiles to their current ones.
All previous Mi Band models have offered NFC functionality. However, support was limited to China only, so there’s a good chance that this will continue to be the situation as is apparent.
Features for the Xiaomi Mi Band 4 included a microphone as well, but this feature together with the NFC capability were not available in the global variant of the tracker that the company launched.
What is the Price of the Mi Band 5?
Current price is about $28.99 (Aliexpress) depending on where you buy the watch from. This is an amazing price based on the value and wealth of competitive features it gives. The current price on Amazon is higher if you want to get your hands on it quickly.
- 1. Better screen display 1.1-inch AMOLED true color display with more content Animated dial
- 2. Accurate activity and health tracking 3-axis accelerometer + 3-axis gyro sensor 24/7 monitoring...
- 3. Longer use time and easier charging Up to 14 days of battery life Magnetic charging pin for easy...
A highly motivated all-round writing professional with experience in writing about modern technology.