Finnish tech company Suunto has launched the Suunto 7 in a bid to appeal to high-end smartwatch users. The combination of it being a Wear OS watch packed with features means that it is a great choice if you are keen on tracking your daily life and fitness. Take a read through our review to find out exactly what you can get it to do.
Who Will Use the Suunto 7?
If you’ve ever considered buying an Apple Watch then the Suunto 7 may be the perfect alternative. Especially if you want fitness and activity tracking insights. In terms of features it has got many of the apple watch features and includes a microphone but no speaker. If you want to listen to music you could use either bluetooth or your phone to connect to music stored on your watch.
For ultra-runners or triathletes, this smartwatch maybe not the right one for you and you could go with Suunto Spartan Instead. It will not give the type of insights that you need in order to track and improve your own performance. That being said, it is a good choice for anyone starting out on their fitness journey.
Is the Suunto 7 a High-Performance Watch?
The Suunto 7 is a smartwatch with the capabilities to perform across a wide range of activities and terrains. It comes with a full colour display and 1.39 inch. You can see everything that is going on without having to stop and squint. The screen is a full touchscreen and is supported by four navigation buttons. This will help you use it to its full potential. It can be used with either iOS phones or Android phones.
The watch only weighs around 70g and has a battery that can last up to two full days. However, only if you don’t use music or GPS. If you turn on the GPS then you can expect it to only last 12 hours and that drops to eight if you use it for music as well. This is disappointing when you consider that most smartwatches come with music and GPS as standard. However, if you don’t mind charging it every night then it’s still a good buy.
What Features Come as Standard with the Suunto 7?
The Suunto 7 has lots of great features that will impress your inner sportsperson! You can use it to track your heart rate and the results will feed directly into Google Fit for later analysis. It has the ability to track over 70 different sports so that you can keep on top of your own performance, know your personal best and work hard to beat it!
Other excellent features include being able to play your favourite tunes via apps or on Google Play, the ability to create routes for your fitness sessions, phone integration and call answering, support from Google Assistant and accessing weather forecasts. The features are all great and when you’ve worn it for a few days you’ll feel lost when you take it off.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Suunto 7?
The Suunto comes with such a huge range of capabilities that it’s hard to choose the best. Here’s some of our favourites:
- You can use heat maps that are based on where you are right now.
- You can choose your desired zoom level for your heatmaps.
- Notifications are simple and incredibly easy to access.
- Settings are user-friendly and you will find them where you’d expect them to be so you don’t have to go fishing around to find how to access each thing.
- There is a range of great watch faces to choose from depending on your style.
- You can download a specified map area so that if you lose the internet you will still be able to track where you have been and how well you went.
- The heart rate monitor works well and is pretty reliable.
With any tech, you can expect there to be parts that you are not impressed with! We’ve listed the cons below so that you can feel fully informed when choosing whether to buy one or not:
- The size of the Suunto 7 body seems rather large and can be very bulky when you put it on.
- The strap feels cheap and we are hopeful that it will be able to be replaced for something better.
- It’s difficult for people with small wrists to wear as it drowns their wrist.
- It’s a pretty expensive option and we aren’t convinced that its capabilities match the price tag.
- The battery life when using GPS or music is reduced to less than a day.
Why Should I Buy the Suunto 7?
If you are happy to part with a lot of money for a smartwatch then the Suunto 7 may be a great choice for you. It’s made with sportspeople in mind and the fact that it can track over 70 different sports makes it very attractive. For comparison, you might want to review Suunto vs Garmin or review the Garmin Fenix 6 as an alternative.
It tracks data from users accurately and allows you to analyse it from the comfort of your phone as soon as a workout has ended. It’s very easy to use and the navigation buttons make it a cinch to start and end activities so that you don’t need to waste time scrolling through to find the right option for your needs.
The great thing about the Suunto 7 is that it is not just a sports tracking watch – you can use it to pay for your shopping, make calls and keep in touch via messages. You have access to the full Wear OS experience and this compliments the watch incredibly well. With this watch, Suunto really seems to have hit the mainstream smartwatch market.
Last Updated on December 13, 2020