High blood pressure can cause stroke, heart attack, and dementia. Keeping track of our blood pressure is important, but testing can be inconvenient. It would be so much easier if smartwatches could track it, right?
At this time, few watches can track blood pressure accurately. These are the Omron Heart Guide and potentially also the ASUS Vivowatch BP and the new Samsung Galaxy watch 3 (but still no support for this feature in the US). Cheaper blood pressure watches claim to track it using purposely built sensors. They may not be as accurate but they just might do it for most people who need to track blood pressure on the go on top of other things.
You might wonder why Fitbit, Garmin etc., have not introduced blood pressure smartwatches. Well, as we’ll explore, this technology is very complex and difficult to get right. Omron and ASUS may have managed it, but they’ve had to scrimp on other features. Follow our list below for cheaper alternatives as well if measurement accuracy is not the top priority.
With that in mind, here are our top pick of current blood pressure watches that offer convenience and precision, depending on the product and price range.
1. YAMAY Fitness Tracker with Blood Pressure Monitor
YAMAY fitness tracker is a fully fledged activity tracker which monitors your heart rate and movement throughout the day. It could also motivate you to stay fit and active. The blood pressure and oxygen level monitor are not to be confused as a medical device and are there to help you with the monitoring and assist your health, but that’s it. Sleep tracking will analyze the way you sleep and the alarm clock is helpful too for most people. See the full review of 2020 Yamay blood pressure smartwatch.
- ♥ 【 Fitness Tracker】- YAMAY 023 watch can automatically track your steps, distance traveled,...
- ♥ 【 Heart Rate & Blood Pressure & Blood Oxygen Monitor 】- YAMAY 023 can accurately monitor...
- ♥ 【 Smart Watch for iPhone and Android Phones】- This watch is compatible with most iOS 8.0 &...
- 1.3″ bright, high quality display, comes in 5 different colors.
- Activity tracking, sports tracking with 9 modes including walking, running, spinning, yoga and more.
- Features both heart rate tracking and blood pressure monitor.
- Up to 10 days battery life
- IP68 waterproofing – excellent for swimming.
- Good compatibility with both iPhone and Android
- Good price
- Accuracy can be improved
- Not enough sport modes compared to others
2. MorePro Blood pressure monitor – 2021 Model (V100s)
Updated version of the popular watch, released in November 2020. This relatively cheaper alternative also measures your body temperature. Lot’s of positive reviews and a nice set of features. See our full review of MorePro blood pressure smartwatches. There’s a few models ranging from a simple bands to other larger 1.3″ square display with a slim design. This 2021 updated model has a nice 1.14″ LCD color screen and the battery lasts 7-10 days on a single, quick charge.
- 🌡【Body Temperature Watch】MorePro unique latest technology - Monitoring and recording human...
- 🏊【Your Personal Sports Coach】With the IP68 waterproof fitness watch, we can customized our...
- 🛏【Heart Rate & Blood Pressure & Sleep Monitor】MorePro heart rate monitor automatically and...
- 1.14″ bright, high quality display
- Activity tracking, sports tracking, body temperature tracking
- IP68 certified, excellent for swimming.
- Good battery life. Built in USB for charging
- App works well on both iPhone and Android
- Many color options
- Accuracy can be improved but may just be good enough for non medical purposes.
- Temperature and Blood pressure need to be enabled on the app first. (not really a problem)
3. Kimnix Smartwatch, 1.72″ HD Touchscreen
New model for this year, latest screen size and potentially better sensors. One of the smartwatches with the largest screens available today. Yet, in terms of actual look and fit, it does not feel too chunky or big. Nice set of features and app compatibility. It will measure your heart rate, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels. The Kimnix smartwatch is IPX4 life waterproof which means it is resistant to water splashes from any direction.
- 【2021 New Smart Watch】Aluminum shell and 1.72 Inch HD full touch fitness watch with Bluetooth...
- 【Bluetooth Call and Music】Connect the smart watch with your phone via Bluetooth, you can make or...
- 【Full Touch Screen and Information Push】The new upgraded 1.72'' HD color full touch screen, you...
- New model
- Large screen – best (or biggest) in class.
- Good looks
- IPX4 waterproof
- New model which has not been time tested
- Could be too large for some people.
- Lacks body temperature or sleep apnea detection
For a similar watch in terms of looks and functionality and a slightly smaller screen, check out this Feifuns 1.54″ smartwatch:
- ⌚️Bluetooth Smartwatch with Call function: As a bluetooth device, just connect the smart watch...
- ⌚️Full Touch Screen and Custom Dial Smartwatch:The new upgraded 1.54'' IPS color full touch...
- ⌚️All-day Health Monitoring: feifuns smart watch can accurately monitor this three body's most...
4. NDur Smart Watch – Style and Endurance
NDur fitness trackers for blood pressure have it all – it’s a fitness tracker, calorie burned counter, sleep monitor, heart rate monitor with the added bonus of blood pressure tracking. A 1.3″ touchscreen that is also IP68 waterproof. One of the main advantages of this watch is a 10 day, extra-long battery life so that you rarely have to take it off. You could also fully charge it quite quickly in around 2 hours. It will come with a 6 month warranty and offer quality and potentially last longer than rest of the bunch. Bands are interchangeable with most standard 20mm bands should you wish to invest in a different band style.
- Larger Than Life: The Ndur Smartwatch has a 1.3-Inch large touch screen, allowing you to easily view...
- Your Health Is Everything: Our Ndur Smartwatch comes with an abundance of features, from blood...
- Longest Battery Life On The Market: The Ndur smartwatch is known for having the longest battery life...
- Built for endurance
- 1.3″ bright and responsive touchscreen
- Extra long battery life
- 6 month warranty
- A relatively newcomer in the market
- As with most other blood pressure fitness trackers, accuracy could be improved. Hopefully, future software upgrade will improve this as well.
5. Omron Heart Guide
Omron have been manufacturing cuff-style blood pressure monitors for decades. Last year, they introduced Heart Guide. Crucially, this is the first smartwatch to incorporate traditional cuff-style technology (oscillatory tech).
You can trust this device because it has FDA approval (unheard of in the smartwatch industry). As well as monitoring BP, this watch measures sleep and displays smartphone notifications.
- Blood Pressure Monitor Watch: Take clinically accurate blood pressure in as little as 30 seconds
- Stay Within a Healthy Range: Monitor blood pressure and track trends over time with colored charts
- Track Fitness: Set goals and monitor your daily activity levels to achieve a more active lifestyle
The biggest problem with this watch is its size. So, if you have slim wrists, the Heart Guide may feel heavy and obstructive. But hey, it’s probably the most accurate blood pressure watch out there from a brand you can trust, and it’s now available on Amazon which means you can get it by tomorrow most likely…
How Does the Omron Heart Guide Work?
Remember we said that traditional BP monitoring uses an inflatable cuff? Well, Omron have incorporated an inflatable cuff into the wrist band of their watch.
So, how does it work? Well, the cuff inflates and places pressure on two arteries in the wrist. As the cuff deflates, BP can be measured.
However, it’s important to say that the BP tracking is not automatic. Instead, you have to tell the device that you want to measure your blood pressure. Once you do this, the watch asks you to place your wrist in front of your heart for 20-30 seconds.
Then, the device syncs your BP readings to the HeartAdvisor App.
- You can check your BP from any location at any time, so the watch offers convenience.
- It tracks fitness and sleep, so you can monitor your overall health.
- While it is not as advanced as some smartwatches, it offers some good basic features (call and text alerts).
- Also, it has a reasonable battery life of 3+ days.
- Comparative to other watches, it is very expensive.
- It would not work as a running watch because it’s too bulky.
- This watch does not offer in-built GPS so you cannot track your routes.
- Despite huge interest in the product, it can be difficult to source in some parts of the world
5. DSmart V12c (Square Design, Blood Pressure)
This DSmart watch (using H4-V12c Hardware) uses a 1.4″ IPS square touchscreen, it’s waterproof and of course, it tracks your blood pressure. Quality Zinc-Alloy case and wide phone compatibility. It will monitor your sleep and can be work for 3-7 days without needing a charge. You can set your activity goals in the WoFit app and the watch will show you your daily achievements towards your goals.
- ⌚【Easy to use Fitness & Health 2in1 Smartwatch】 - Elegant and fashion design, Adopts 1.3" HD...
- 🏃♂️【Running model & Fitness Activity Tracking】 – Profession for running indoor or...
- 🧡【Advanced Heart Rate Monitor Technologies】– Equipped with advanced and updated PPG...
- Full touchscreen, square design
- Unisex design – more color options including grey and pink and purple
- Newer, more accurate sensors
- Relatively large screen with big text
- No body temperature function
- 3-7 days on the battery is a bit disappointing but not too bad compared to Apple watch or the Apple Watch SE.
6. HalfSun Fitness Tracker
Another good blood pressure sensor watch alternative which does the job for many people. Lot’s of positive reviews and a nice set of features. For a complete review of the HalfSun blood pressure watch click here.
- 【Excellent Ergonomic Design】Large Color-Screen : The beauty in all in view. Using a 1.3 inch IPS...
- 【All-day Activity Tracking】Record all-day activities like steps, distance, calories burned,...
- 【Heart Rate & Blood Pressure & Sleep Monitor 】Tracks real-time heart rate and Blood Pressure...
- Good Quality 1.3″ screen. IPS, Full Color HD
- Activity tracking with app integration
- Light and comfortable
- Automatic, continuous heart rate monitor
- Can track blood pressure automatically.
- Relies on phone for GPS
- Accuracy can be improved
7. Blumelody Fitness Tracker for Blood Pressure and Body Temperature
A newcomer into this segment, the Blumelody blood pressure monitor watch measures all the usual stuff, including your fitness, blood oxygen, heart rate and blood pressure. The added benefit here is the body temperature sensor which is something new and unique at this stage.
This watch is a bit simplistic in its approach with one touch button but not the touch screen you would normally see in more sophisticated or expensive models.
The watch tracks your blood oxygen, heart rate and blood pressure. Like all other watches in this category it will track your sleep and help you detect abnormalities in your sleep patterns.
The Bluemelody smartwatch has many features that will help your track and monitor your health and improve your lifestyle accordingly.
- 【Instant & Accurate Temperature Measuring】2020 upgraded advanced built-in digital body...
- 【Integrated Physical Data Monitoring】Adopting the latest HR sensor to detect your blood oxygen,...
- 【Efficient Daily Activity Tracker】Accurately record all-day activity data including steps,...
- Built in USB charging. (no need for cable)
- 5 days battery life and quick charging in one and a half hour.
- IP67 Waterproof
- Flexible band fits many different sizes.
- New model incorporating latest sensors
- New and potentially less reviews or feedback available.
- Too simple to handle. Not a lot of features or advanced touch screen like other models we like.
- Band type design may be more feminine than masculine.
- Not a well known brand (yet?)
8. HopoFit Fitness Tracker
If you like a more rugged design this is an excellent choice!
Another large 1.69-inch screen with high resolution, which is super for reading in all lighting conditions. What’s cool is that you can use the companion app to create your own watch face.
Enjoy up to 20 sport modes and accurately record exercise, steps, calories burned and distanced travelled. This device offers 30m water resistance so you can swim in it, too. Though, note, it can’t withstand hot water.
Practical features include smart notifications, music control, timer, alarm, weather, reminders to move, sleep stages and breathing exercises.
Of course, it’s on this list for the more advanced health features, including blood pressure and blood oxygen. For under $100 this is a really surprising set of features to see.
Enjoy up to 15 days of battery life between charges, which takes only two hours.
This device is compatible with iPhone and Android, so long as you download the Da Fit companion app.
- ⌚【Fitness Tracker Smart Watch for Women Men】3ATM Deep waterproof level 1.69inch HD...
- ⌚【Activity & Fitness Trackers & 20 Sport Modes】Fitness watch accurate track your...
- ⌚【Heart Rate Monitor Watch Function】Pedometer,sleep,heart rate monitor,practice,weather,remote...
- Waterproof for pool swimming
- Works with iPhone and Android
- Dedicated app
- Rugged design
- Limited to three alarms
- Text notifications can be glitchy
9. Peakfun Smartwatch for Blood Pressure
A versatile fitness tracker with all the features you would expect, a 1.3″ IPS touchscreen and long battery life that can work up to 7 days. It will connect to your phone and track your activity all day and night with smart sleep monitoring. You can take it swimming as it’s IP67 waterproof. Watch faces can be customized. The screen is detailed and easy to read.
- Clear and bright, high pixel count (240 x 240) color touch screen
- A choice of two colors – black and pink
- Play music and connect to your headphones via Bluetooth
- Compatible with major phones
- Good value for money
- Blood pressure accuracy not proven
- Few sports modes compared to top brands
- Amazon reviews seem to be about headphones
10. DFG Smart Watch HRV
This new smartwatch and fitness tracker boasts a 1.54″ touchscreen and a battery life of 5-7 days. It connects with your phone GPS to track your activity, distance travelled and routes to give you the fuller picture.
We think the blood pressure monitoring with this watch has currently got a few advantages over older models. Recording of BP can take place automatically (every 5 minutes) and sync with your phone app daily for convenience. You can also calibrate the blood pressure reading by entering professional grade equipment (e.g. using a blood pressure monitor) data into the app which is a nice feature that can improve the accuracy of the readings. Needless to sat, the watch is not a replacement for medical equipment but can be used for reference purposes.
- 【24/7 Heart Rate + Blood Pressure Monitor】Electrodes+green light +red light+infrared 4 layers...
- 【S-pO2 + HRV Tracking & Scientific Sleep】Fitness tracker adopts advanced sensor to detect blood...
- 【10 Sport Modes & IP68 Waterproof】Collect daily exercise data including steps, calories,...
- Big touchscreen – 1.54″ with big numbers
- Improved sensors
- Connectivity and app compatibility
- Night monitoring of blood oxygen and heart rate
- New brand and watch so not enough reviews
- strap design a bit dated
- No FDA approval, BP accuracy needs to be tested.
11. DoSmarter Fitness Watch
A fitness watch for all purposes with the added value of blood pressure monitoring. Designed to be worn by men and women alike. Waterproof and sporty – good for swimming but not designed to be worn during hot saunas or baths. This watch is light and relatively simple to use. This watch typically lasts 5 days between charges. We have mixed feelings about this watch as some customers experienced quality and accuracy issues with it.
All you health tracking can be shown and summarized in the app. Blood pressure can be turned to automatic mode. You are also able to fill in your profile details (age, height, etc) so that measurements are more accurate.
- Fitness Watch for Women Men: If you want an all-in-one watch and don’t want to wear a bulky one,...
- Tracks All of Your Daily Activity: With a fitness watch x18 on your wrist, you can see calories...
- Protect & Monitor Your Health Always: Real-time monitors heart rate and blood pressure with full...
- Simple, all rounder
- Light and stylish
- Strap fits most sizes
- Good for swimming and sleep monitoring
- Blood pressure as an extra benefit but not a main feature
- Some bad reviews about quality of measurements and the product itself.
12. ASUS Vivowatch BP
The ASUS Vivowatch BP is another promising blood pressure watch. It does not have FDA approval, but it appears to deliver accurate results. Unlike the Heart Guide, it does not use oscillatory technology. Instead, it relies on sensors. Some people see this as an inferior technology, and this may explain why it has not achieved FDA approval.
One of the best things about this watch is the accompanying HealthConnect App. This app is very simple to use and provides great insights.
The ASUS Vivowatch BP is difficult to find if you live outside of the US or Canada. Worldwide roll-out is expected at the end of this year or early next year.
How Does It Work?
This watch does not have an inflatable cuff. Instead, it relies on sensor technology and sophisticated algorithms to predict blood pressure. So, how does this work?
Well, the Electricalgraphy (ECG) sensors measure heart rate. And the Photoplethysmography (PPG) sensor measures pulse. When combined, this information calculates your Pulse Transit Time (PTT). PPT can provide an estimate of blood pressure.
Unlike the Heart Guide, blood pressure estimates occur automatically so there’s no need to raise your arm.
- Since this watch relies on sensor technology, it can offer automatic blood pressure estimates.
- It offers 28-days of battery life, so you won’t have ‘charging anxiety’.
- It is small and discreet, so it is an ideal smartwatch for women.
- Compared to similar devices, this watch is reasonably priced.
- Finally, built-in GPS is an added bonus.
- It may be less reliable than the Omron Heart Guide because it does not have FDA backing.
- It is not compatible with all versions of Android, so check before purchasing.
- This watch was released in 2018 and although the software is updated regularly, it may be a bit dated.
- Presently, it is difficult to source in some parts of the world
13. Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
The new kid on the block, Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 was released on August 5, 2020. It a full featured watch with lots of app support and probably the best smartwatch on the market if you don’t fancy an Apple Watch. In terms of price it’s obviously more pricey than many watches in this review but you usually get what you pay for.
Build quality is good. Functionality is robust with sleep tracking, heart rate, blood oxygen, GPS and more. Built in ECG works well and is approved for use in the US. Alas, the blood pressure sensor and app are not yet functional for US customers. This actually prevents us from recommending this watch full heartedly at this time. Samsung are expecting the blood pressure monitoring function to be supported via the app in the coming months. So, if you have some faith in them, you might want to adopt this watch early and activate this important feature when the update is available.
- STYLE YOU CAN COUNT ON: Galaxy Watch3 combines style—two sizes, two finishes, three colors and,...
- LEAVE YOUR PHONE BEHND: Galaxy Watch3 gives you the freedom to call, text, stream music and get...
- You can share the PDF report of your ECG recording with your health care provider using the Samsung...
- A smartwatch based on WearOS from Samsung
- Follow along workout videos on your TV in tandem with your watch
- Wireless charging
- Quality watch, good sensors, best in class apps
- Lots of customization options
- Works well in the Android family of things (less so with Apple)
- Not all features are available, including Blood Pressure (which is what we cover here)
14. Motast Smartwatch and Fitness Tracker
This nifty, budget-friendly watch does everything. Including the practical functions for fitness and health tracking: sleep quality, heart rate (including zones), calories, steps and GPS tracking for distance. It also offers menstrual tracking for those who menstruate. The reason it’s on this list is for the more advanced options of blood pressure and blood oxygen monitoring.
On the smart side, it offers notifications for call, texts and for social apps like WhatsApp and Facebook. If you’re out and about, use it to control your music or even your camera.
According to reviews, the best feature is the large and bright 1.69 inch LCD colour display. This is great for use at night or in poor lighting conditions.
- Multifunction: This Smartwatch includes more practical functions, Fitness Tracker (Pedometer,...
- Heart Rate Monitor and Blood Pressure and Blood Oxygen Monitor: By monitoring your heart rate, you...
- Sleep Tracker and Activity Tracker: High-performance motion sensors monitor sleep status (deep...
- Large, user-friendly and bright display
- Multi-purpose fitness, health and smartwatch in one
- Looks like the Apple Watch
- Up to 7-day battery life using all functions
- Reviews are mixed on the accuracy of the functions themselves
15. Garinemax Smartwatch
A smart fitness tracker in one! Compared to the previous budget tracker, this has a slightly smaller screen (1.4-inch) but it does have the added feature of being able to track body temperature as well as blood oxygen levels. Which, believe it or not, is more than the Apple Watch can do.
This watch has all the usual features you would expect for fitness and wellness: calories, steps, heart rate, sleep stages and the additional features we’ve mentioned already. It’s also got five sport modes, weather, alarms and reminders to move.
Smart features are a little lacking in comparison to others, so if you’re more interested in advanced health features and aren’t too worried about interacting with your smartphone, this is great. You still get notifications, though. You’re also able to choose between five watch faces.
- ✔【Life is smarter & Fitness Tracker】1.4 inch big colored display, smart wristband watch is the...
- ✔【Professional Waterproof】IP67 level can working well in rainy days, hands washing, It cannot...
- ✔【Heart Rate & blood pressure & Blood Oxygen &Body temperature monitoring】 This watch tracks...
- Body temperature is an advanced feature
- Works with iPhone and Android
- Dedicated app
- Reviews compare this watch to a Fitbit
- App isn’t as sophisticated as major brands
- Mixed reviews on blood pressure accuracy
16. LCW Fitness Tracker
This is a superb smartwatch and fitness tracker with the added new feature of body temperature monitoring. Though it’s aimed at men, seniors and women trying to get pregnant would benefit significantly.
The 1.54-inch squared-off screen is a step away from the typical rounded Apple Watch copies, complete with a distinctive wristband. Make the watch your own with five face choices.
This is an all-day tracker so it’ll automatically pick up on your movement. It has five built-in sports modes.
Pay close attention to your health using the blood pressure, 24-hour body temperature and heart rate monitoring. Sleep stages are tracked at night so altogether this can give you a decent picture of your overall health.
Additionally, you get smart features such as text, calls, emails and social media notifications.
- Smartwatch for Men Women: Smartwatch is equipped with 1.54 inch HD clear color touch screen, so that...
- All-Day Activity Tracker: The health watch automatically detect your movements in 24 hours. You will...
- Heart Rate and Blood Pressure Monitor. Built-in optical sensors keep 24 hours countinuous tracking...
- 24 hour body temperature monitoring
- Blood pressure tracking
- Square design isn’t like other budget watches
- Works with iPhone and Android
- Gives a rough indication of blood pressure, not to be used for medical conditions
- Not waterproof enough for swimming
17. Serac Fit Smart Watch
Whilst this is still under $100, this is more than double the cost of similar watches on this list. Why? It offers a unique sleep apnea feature.
Advanced health features, apart from the typical heart rate monitoring etc are blood pressure and blood oxygen levels. What’s exceptionally useful is how it uses the latest light sensors on the market to automatically track sleep. With this and Sp02 monitoring, the device can identify episodes of sleep apnea. If needed, you can turn on a hypoxia alert, which will vibrate on your wrist if your Sp02 levels drop too low.
To avoid being repetitive, just know you can expect all the same great health, fitness and smart features noted on previous budget trackers such as notifications, alarms, etc.
- ADVANCED HEALTH TRACKER- monitor your hear rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen, sleep tracker- using...
- 1.54" INCH FULL TOUCH SCREEN: The 1.54-inch full-screen touch display make it easy to operate with...
- RECIEVE CALL AND MESSAGE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT ON YOUR WRIST: Once paired with your compatible smart...
- Unique sleep apnea tracking
- Advanced health tracking in a budget watch!
- Unisex design
- Works with iPhone and Android
- Accurate Pulse Ox readings
- Reviews suggest the Bluetooth connection can be glitchy
- Users also say the iOS compatibility is more reliable than Android
18. MiFRee Dual Time smartwatch
Unique, stylish, interesting design from MiFree with dual time, hybrid display. This watch is currently the only watch we know that offers blood pressure sensors in a classical hybrid smartwatch design.
The mechanical watch runs on Japanese quartz movement. Could be a great choice if you prefer the classical look in combination with smart features and the latest fitness tracking features.
- 1.【DUAL TIME ZONE】Latest luxury dual time 0.96 inch ips 160*80 color large screen heart rate...
- 2.【Health Functions】Heart rate monitor/Blood pressure/Blood oxygen/Sleep monitoring/Sedentary...
- 3.【Sport Functions】 Pedometer/Kilometers/Calories/Telephone reminder/Alarm clock/Information...
Blood Pressure Technology
We’ve all had our blood pressure (BP) taken at some point in our lives. The traditional method for BP testing is the cuff method. This is also called the ‘oscillatory method’.
How does this technology work? Well, the cuff is placed around your upper arm. It inflates until enough pressure is exerted on your arteries to stop blood flow. As the cuff deflates, the device measures how quickly blood returns to your arteries. Testing the upper arm is more accurate than testing the wrist or finger because it’s closer to the heart.
So, you can see why a ‘blood pressure smartwatch’ is a big ask. Two companies have managed it, though. The Omron Heart Guide uses traditional oscillatory technology. In contrast, the ASUS Vivowatch BP as well as all the other blood pressure smartwatches in this review rely on sensors and algorithms.
What Is Blood Pressure?
Your blood pressure reading signifies how easy it is for blood to flow around your body. Basically, the higher your blood pressure, the harder it is for blood to flow. For the most part, high blood pressure is caused by blocked, narrowed or damaged arteries.
High blood pressure (or hypertension) can lead to blood clots. As a result, clots can cause dementia, heart attack, kidney disease and stroke.
Do I Need to Track My Blood Pressure?
Interestingly, studies show that monitoring blood pressure at home helps to empower stroke victims.
But we should all keep on eye on our blood pressure – even fitness junkies. This is because studies show that exercising doesn’t necessarily protect us from high blood pressure. So, it’s not just senior citizens and stroke survivors that should track their BP – it’s everyone.
What Causes High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure is not fully understood but the following factors play a role:
- Eating too much salt
- Being inactive
- Consuming meat and dairy
As mentioned, anyone can benefit from BP tracking. But if your lifestyle is unhealthy, you may find BP tracking particularly useful.
The Benefits of Blood Pressure Watches
The main issue with conventional blood pressure testing is that it’s inconvenient. Usually, you have to see a doctor or pharmacist to get your blood pressure taken. Having said that, you can buy home-testing kits. But these don’t store your data, so you may end up losing it. In contrast, blood pressure fitness trackers are:
- Portable and convenient so you never miss a BP reading.
- They record and store your BP data in the app, so it’s easier to review with your doctor.
- You’re less likely to forget to take your BP. As a result, you’ll catch potential problems earlier.
- You can measure BP at various points throughout the day. As a result, you’ll get a better understanding of how your lifestyle affects your BP.
Do I Really Need to Track Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure fitness trackers show great potential, but they are not perfect. To be specific, the Omron Heart Guide is expensive and bulky. At the same time, the ASUS is difficult to source and does not have FDA approval. Cheaper alternatives may offer some solution but may not be exactly what you need. So, are blood pressure watches worth the money?
Well, it depends on how important BP tracking is to you. Certainly, you could overlook these snags if BP tracking is high on your list of priorities. People living with chronic stress or illness will probably benefit from one of these watches. Tracking your blood pressure can be quite useful for some. But if this doesn’t apply to you; a BP fitness tracker may be unnecessary.
In fact, many people believe that cheaper fitness trackers are sufficient for tracking health. To be specific, most mid-range trackers measure resting heart rate (RHR). RHR gives a good indication of overall cardiovascular health. Although, as mentioned, people with a good RHR aren’t necessarily immune to high blood pressure.
Ask yourself how important BP monitoring is. If it’s fairly low on your list of requirements, other fitness trackers offer better a better fit for purpose.
The likes of the Fitbit Sense is a fantastic alternative. Designed for those who are conscious of all areas of their health; physical and mental, the Fitbit Sense offers sleep scores, advanced heart health and stress monitoring. Additionally, it offers solutions to any extreme responses it picks up from your body to help bring you back to normal. Fitbit is a good choice for health tracking even though it may not offer blood pressure monitoring as of yet. The new Apple Watch 6 could also work well in these circumstances but again – no blood pressure tracking in this very popular smartwatch.
- EDA Scan app detects electrodermal activity which may indicate your body's response to stress and a...
- Assess your heart for atrial fibrillation –a heart rhythm irregularity- and easily share results...
- An on-wrist skin temperature sensor tracks yours each night so you can see how it varies. You can...
Last but not least, there’s the option of getting an upper arm blood pressure monitor that is both portable and accurate for when you need it. For some this is the best solution as you could get the best of both worlds: a branded fitness tracker from the like of Apple, Fitbit or Garmin and a blood pressure monitor from the likes of Omron.
- OMRON is the #1 trusted and recommended home blood pressure monitor brand by doctors and pharmacists...
- The OMRON Silver Upper Arm Monitor provides unlimited memory and stores 80 total blood pressure...
- With Advanced Accuracy, an exclusive OMRON technology, this monitor measures five times more data...
Last Updated on April 11, 2021
A highly experienced writer, with expertise in health and technology.
Rachael had a masters degree in psychology (with distinction) and a bachelors degree in English literature (with first-class honours) from reputable UK universities. Rachael has worked for two years as a research associate and reporter for a high-profile UK media company.